Blast strikes near Prophet’s Mosque in Saudi


bombStaff writer, Al Arabiya English Monday, 4 July 2016
Four Saudi security force members were killed on Monday after a suicide bombing took place in Madinah near the prophet’s mosque, the Al-Haram Al-Nabawi, regarded as one of Islam’s holiest sites.

Al Arabiya News Channel’s correspondent said the suicide bombing took place in a parking lot between the city court and the mosque, visited by millions every year. The channel showed images of fire raging in a parking lot with at least one body seen nearby. The suicide bomber also died in the attack.

The attack near the prophet’s mosque took place during Maghreb prayers, the time when Muslims break their fast during the holy month of Ramadan.

Al Arabiya News Channel’s correspondent said the suicide bomber targeted seven security officers when he pretended that he wanted to break his fast with them.

Security forces have cordoned off the area.

Two million visitors have so far arrived at Al-Haram Al-Nabawi during Ramadan to finish recitation of the Quran. The correspondent said the visitors were undeterred and were heading to perform the Isha prayers, which take place soon after the inital fast-breaking prayer.

Governor of Madinah HRH Prince Faisal bin Salman has visited security officers injured in the attack.

Two other suicide bombings also took place in the eastern city of Qatif on Monday evening after a foiled attack earlier in the day in Jeddah.

Al Arabiya News Channel’s correspondent said worshippers were unhurt following the attack. Witnesses saw body parts at the scene, believed to be the suicide bomber himself.

bomb1

Footage obtained by Al Arabiya shows first moments of Madinah blast

Footage shows bombing in eastern city of Qatif

The fresh attacks in Madinah and Qatif followed a suicide bombing near the US consulate in Saudi Arabia’s city of Jeddah early on Monday.

Also read: Egypt’s mufti says ‘sheikhs inciting radicalism’ are not ‘Islamic scholars’
Last Update: Tuesday, 5 July 2016 KSA 23:03 – GMT 20:03

Egypt’s mufti: ‘Sheikhs inciting radicalism’ are not ‘Islamic scholars’
General view of security personnel in front of a mosque as police stage a second controlled explosion, after a suicide bomber was killed and two other people wounded in a blast near the US consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, in this still frame taken from video July 4, 2016. (Reuters)
Staff writer, Al Arabiya English Monday, 4 July 2016
Text size A A A

Egypt’s grand mufti, the country’s most top religious figure, has denounced Monday’s “terrorism events” in Saudi Arabia which saw a suicide bombing strike near the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah, considered to be one of the holiest sites in Islam.

Shawki Ibrahim, who has held the office since early 2013, said religious sheikhs who incite radicalism cannot be described as “Islamic scholars,” likening “terrorism” to “cancer” that “must be eradicated.”

He also said fighting “terrorism” should be “everyone’s responsibility,” and urged youth to “reject” religious edicts or fatwas that incite strife and “destroy countries.”

Last Update: Monday, 4 July 2016 KSA 22:16 – GMT 19:16

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s